Showing the love of Christ in terms they understand in order to present to them the Christ that died for them.

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Aug 21, 2011


Today has been a nice relaxing day kind of. I got up at 4am to upload the pictures. I finished about 7am. I went back to bed from 7am till 11am. Dad had his last cup of coffee. I can't believe after 70 years my dad is giving up coffee but he is.
Unfortunately we managed to go over our allotted 435 Mbs download per day. This means they take us down to minimal internet access for 24 hours. This makes it really difficult to get communications out. I was able to make contact with Hughes Net and get the services restored. For those who were trying to reach us by skype this morning, we were not able to answer until after 1pm.
The rain had made the roads so muddy we were unable to go to the church we planned to attend.  It's a good thing and amazing that so many Haitians up here have cell phones. We were able to let the Pastor know we could not make it. Almost everyone has an incountry cell phone now. It was quit the site to see someone talking on the cell while on the back of a donkey on the dirt road.
There are a few other things I have had to remind myself about in reguards to the rules of Haiti. Such as remember to put your shoes upside down. This will prevent creepy crawlies from getting into your shoes.  Don't open your mouth in the shower (includes singing) or the water will get in along with the amoeba that lives there. The how to use the indoor toilet rules that are posted. Never touch your face, Wash often and spray yours hands with alcohol afterwards. If you leave the light on by your bed a flying cockroach will find your forehead. Always check before you put feet in shoes, legs in pants, arms in sleeves. Once you wash dishes you have to sanitize them with boiled hot water. Time your bedtime so you are under the covers 2 minutes before the generator cuts off. If not you might have to feel around to find the bed. That and so many more. I have been lucky most of it feels so natural and normal. Call it muscle memory or just the fact its good to be home memory.
I made my dad and I lunch today with the usual sandwich. Good thing he is low maintenance. We got to enjoy some time just visiting with each other today.
Today we got the news that there is a hurricane headed our way. We spent some time today to ensure we have fuel for the generator and everything is ready. To get fuel we have to send to a town about an hour away and purchase it by the 55 gallon drum. This cost right at $400 a drum plus transportation fee. This will last about a month right now with all the rain. The cloud cover prevents the solar batteries from getting a full charge.
All the windows have shutters so we are ready. I just need to go out tomorrow and get some avocadoes to last me. I can't have that wind blowing them to the ground and smashing them to bits. That would just be wrong. LOL
Right now it 7:30pm and we have just had dinner and I have just a little more clean up to do before bed. I hope to actually be in bed asleep before the generator is off.

Tomorrow is a very busy day. Daddy has to work on the solar panels to increase the power they deliver. Making sure everything is wired in correctly. I need to finish my inventory of supplies and start the reorganization of the office. The rain is expected by nightfall. If there is lightening we will have to turn off all electrical items. So I might not be able to post tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment

UPDATES: