Showing the love of Christ in terms they understand in order to present to them the Christ that died for them.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Aug 30

I am sitting here typing this at 2:44 am. Yes I should have done it last night but too busy (I'll explain as we go).
 
Today Aug 30, I woke late yet again. My dad is determined that I get sleep while I am here. Another 9 hours for me. While I am in the states this is unheard of. There 5 hours is normal if I am lucky. But here there is just something about sleep that is a natural part of the day. There is no wondering about the to do list, stresses about bills, getting up and cleaning at 2am. There is a general acceptance that at night its a time to conserve energy. This is a time to have as many power devices (if you have them) turned off. A time to let the body recoop for you will need it the morning. A lesson I really should take home with me.
 
I woke about 9:30 am and listened to the sound of my Dad's voice in the other room as he greeted my mom on skype. They were sharing their morning cup of coffee. It always amazes me how they can stay so connected even while apart. For any of those who have or had loved ones in other countries due to missions or deployments, you can appreciate this more than most. I listen to them be serious as they discuss the households, laugh talking about inside jokes and the grand-kid, even flirt when my dad comments how cute my mom looks. Its such an honor to be able to call this couple my parents.
 
 I think how strong my folks were for coming and staying here so long. My parents brought 6 kids between the ages of 3 and 17 to a foreign country to help where they could. After 30 plus years they are still doing that work. I love that they allow me to come down from time to time and pitch in. My brother and his wife are now preparing to come over full time. Each of my brothers and sisters have returned multiple times. This may have started out as a place for my parents to serve, but it became our home. This land is tied to us, the people, the buildings, and everything here is part of who I am. When I leave I don't leave that behind and there is a certain peace in knowing it is all here. It allows me to go challenge corporate America so that I can afford to do more here.
 
This afternoon, we got to host some friends from down the road south of us. These are folks that are very dear to me. I have watched as what started as a chance meeting on a visit to Haiti turn into a family and a powerful work. I got to see the two Amazing young ladies that have grown up so much since I last saw them. They used to come and hang out here with me. We would play in the rain and sing concerts on the cistern which we called our stage. It has always been great to relive some of the carefree childhood moments as an MK (missionary's kid) through them. They are so bright and articulate it was great to see it in person again. This visit they were even able to bring their cousin.
 
We all had lunch together. Dad and I made tacos which is a nice treat for here. I used tomatoes out of the garden. We got to sit around talk about all the changes coming to our little mountain here. There are electric poles coming up and should be here in the next year or so. The country finally got its second cell phone carrier and the new one has internet on their handsets. This is a huge thing for here that back in the US is considered common place. The town close by (30 min or so) now carries liquid bleach which we were thinking we would have to send away to the larger cities (1-3 hours away) to get. We can get sodas in town but we have been able to for many years. its still new to me because I have not been here to enjoy this luxury. I am still getting used to having the indoor toilet here now and internet.

The friend we were having lunch with is an RN and agreed to look at Baby phillip for me.  Baby phillip is doing good. His skin was a little dry but not too bad Of course I was looking for all the reason I should grab him and run inside to keep him safe, but there was no cause. He was well fed and happy. He woke from his nap with his usual grin as he looked up at his audience. The girls all kept him company while I made up the next set of supplies. This time I gave two days supplies. I need to make sure they can manage getting the milk only twice a week before I leave. As long as he continues to progress then he will be able to remain with his momma. If not the foster family is still willing and will be checking in on him just to be sure. Our friends gave baby phillip and his caretaker a ride the mile back to their home. This was extra nice since the thunder warning of the afternoon rains had already started.
 
I cleaned up while dad when back to the shop to continue his work. The goal is to have the truck put back together by tomorrow (Wed). The radiator is currently still beside the truck and you have to see the pics of it. I am posting them in the link to follow this blog.  I cleaned up from lunch and prepared for our evening guess. The kind gentleman from down the road was returning to check on the inverter. The batteries had been boiling and there was an acid smell last night. Come to find out the batteries were getting too much charge. We got this fixed. Truth be told a lot of the issues the power changes etc is because the batteries are about 2 yrs overdue for replacement but finances being what they are have to keep on going. We hope in future updating the solar system can go into the budget or project list.

When looking at the project list and I see a few to upkeep and fixing the house here, I remind myself that my parents have been in this house for nearly 20 yrs. This building I call a house is a home and dorm in one. There is a men's dorm room, female dorm room, bathroom, my parent's bed room, kitchen, living room, dinning area, computer area/office, supply room, and battery room. Its not luxurious but it is functional and comfortable. My parents try to make sure those who donate their time and finances to come help out down here are comfortable during their stay.
 
While the men checked on the solar system, I made dinner. We got to visit over dinner and catch up with the town news. The town is a few miles North of us, but unless there is great cause, we do not make it up there. It takes about 30 minutes over the roads to make the trip. Between the roads, fuel cost, and time, there has to be a really good reason for going.
 
After everyone left Dad and I got to spend some time talking. We also got to visit with folks on skype and make sure family in the past of the hurricane were all back to having power and clean up was going well. I even got to talk to loved ones back in California. Before I knew it the generator was getting cut off and I needed to get to bed. This is why the blog is late posting but it was a busy day indeed.
 
Ok Its 3:20 and the drums are just showing sighns of stopping. The bugs on the computer screen are at the annoying level and the mouse in the file cabinet is causing me to jump every so often with his racket. LOL
I am going post pics in a hurry and dash back to bed. NIGHT ALL

No comments:

Post a Comment

UPDATES: